Monday, September 28, 2009

O Pioneers! entry 3

Nearly done with this book. I have found that it also reminds me a little of "The Good Earth", in that there is a lot of land involved and the brothers are greedy and a bit on the lazy side. "The Good Earth" is one of my favorite books and Pearl S. Buck is a fav. author of mine also, though I was surprised that none of her books are on the top 100 lists. I'm looking forward to continuing this trilogy.

The story is good and there are a few surprises in it considering it was written in 1913. It is very clean of course but there is a guy completely in love with a married women, this would never happen in Little House. I also find it interesting that the main character Alexandra is in her 40's and is a tough women and not married at this point of the book. I read a bio on the author Willa Cather and it seem she was probably a lesbian.

I am enjoying this process and I find studying other material regarding the book makes it even more enjoyable. Though it may take me 5 years to read through them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment